Non Surgical Solutions
Weight loss – see healthy eating plan
THIS ACCOMPANIES ALL SOLUTIONS
cigarette smoke irritates nasal lining.
Drink more water
2L/day – thins down mucus so it flows easily (thus stops post nasal drip)
Cut down caffeine
Promotes water loss through diuresis – dehydrates body and causes mucus to thicken up = post nasal drip
Nasal Steroid spray
- Like Flonase / Avamys – 2 puffs into each nostril at night
- Get your doctor to prescribe
- Safe for lifelong use – especially if you live in an allergic place like Cape Town
- It dampens down the way your nose reacts to the outside – thus decreasing the swelling of your nasal lining and opening your nose.
How to use a nasal spray
Always bend head forward when using a nasal spray so that spray bottle aimed up and slightly towards your eye
Failure to respond to these conservative solutions requires referral to an Ear Nose and Throat Specialist
MANDIBULAR ADVANCEMENT SPLINT
- Keeps jaw forward while sleeping, thus keeping the back of your tongue away from the back of your throat.
- Trial device R450; Custom made device R3400 excl VAT and delivery
- This device blows an extra puff of air through your nose or mouth as you breathe in while sleeping.
- This forces air past any floppy obstruction
- Obviously it will work better if the nose is open and throat not obstructed